Lately, I’ve been eating my own dog food. Not literally; actually, I’ve been trying out the advice from my last post (Four Questions All Winners Ask ). I have to say, it really works! I’ve had a few setbacks this week and this technique put me back on track.
However, as good as the Four Questions Technique works (and it does), it’s designed to improve performance not deal with the psychological and emotional punches of life. So what do you do when life keeps coming at you and it won’t let up?
“The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!” ~Rocky Balboa
So when you’re down on the canvas and think you’re down for the count look to the list below, maybe some of these ideas will be helpful.
- Pray. The old war adage goes “There are no atheists in foxholes”. Similarly, I believe we all reach out to a higher power when things get tough. So go ahead and reach out, that’s when the love comes down.
- Recognize hard times are seasonal. It may be an hour, a day or a month, but it’s only a season, and seasons change. As the saying goes, “Tough times don’t last, tough people do”.
- Count your blessings. Gratitude focuses our thoughts on what we have, not on what we don’t. If you can’t think of any blessings to count, ask yourself:
- If I could think of some blessings, what would they be?
- Talk to a trusted friend. Most people tend to isolate themselves when things get tough. The answer may be to reach out to a friend.
- Find activities that make you feel good about yourself.
- Working Out
- Random Acts of Kindness
- Create Positive reminders .
- On 3×5 cards, write down some positive expressions that lift you up and affirm you. Then place them where you can see them throughout the day.
- Alternatively, check out positive and uplifting websites and podcasts. There are literally hundreds of high quality messages out there for you to consume. The more you feed your mind good food, the better your outlook will be.
What about you? What do you do to get back up when life knocks you down?