In part 1 of this series I shared my mindset, planning, prioritization and execution of my day. Today, I’ll be covering how I maintain my focus, how I make adjustments and my results mindset. I hope were able to put into practice some of my recommendations form last week and I hope you find this week’s tips helpful too.
Steps 5-7 of How to be productive
Eliminate or mitigate distractions Doing this made the biggest difference in my personal productivity.
- Unnecessary conversations. Those 5 minute innocent conversations are actually costing you 1 to 2 hours of productivity per week. Be very aware that they are wasting your time and robbing your productivity.
- social media/email: Set non-work time aside for these activities
- phone calls. Same thing, schedule them for after work. If that’s not possible call people back during you lunch break.
Re-evaluate your plan at mid-day.
- Personal Experience: I noticed a tendency to drift from my daily plan in the afternoon. I’d get caught up with distractions or my day would take a turn I hadn’t expected. When I decided to make a 2nd half game plan, I was able to refocus my effort and finish the day with the same focus and intensity with which I started.
- Before going to lunch, plan the afternoon. Don’t leave for lunch without making a plan for the afternoon.
- Think of each 8 hour day as two days. If you divide your day into two halves you can game plan for changes in the day.
Have a results mindset
- Have a sense of urgency about what your doing. Try to get each task done as quickly as possible while still maintaining your standards of excellence and quality.
- Be aware of your value: “You aren’t paid by the hour, you are paid for the value you bring to the hour“. Make your time count.
There you have it; my personal productivity plan. It’s made a huge difference in what I get done each day. I hope you can find some nugget of truth in here that will make a difference for you too. I’d love to hear what you do to be more productive. Please leave me a comment with how you ensure your own productivity each day.